Sunday, March 1, 2015

Sleeplessness

     Is sleep to you like the friend that you haven't talked to in a long time? I blogged about this subject once before. 

(http://swegigonbup.blogspot.com/2013_08_01_archive.html?m=0)

     We all look at sleep in a different light.

     After 100+ hours of work in 1 week,  you might have blurted to yourself,  "You can sleep when you're dead."   One day, you could find yourself simply unable to sleep; in bed at 8 p.m. and wide awake at 1 a.m.

     Sleeplessness causes disoriented, and cranky moods.

     Advoiding sleep by taking supplements could result in insomnia.

     Symptoms of early stage insomnia:

-waking up in the middle of the night
-anxious when you should be sleepy
-unnecessary adrenaline flow
 
     Don't wear your work hours like old shoes. 

     According to professional sleep studies,  an adult needs 7-9 hours of sleep ( http://sleepfoundation.org/how-sleep-works/how-much-sleep-do-we-really-need ).

    Sleep research findings, by Paul Kriegler, corporate dietitian for Lifetime Fitness:

1. Do not drink alcohol at home

Drinking shouldn't be a crutch to get to sleep. Drinks might knock you out, but you're not getting restful REM sleep.

2. Set a consistent bedtime.

3. No screens an hour before bedtime and no cell phone in the bedroom.

( http://www.lifetime-weightloss.com/blog/tag/paul-kriegler)

    bTry abiding by these rules for a couple of weeks.

     Sleeplessness female testimony:

     "I spend most of my days planted in front of a computer. If I'm not working, I'm surfing the Internet or watching a movie online.  My eyes and brain are constantly stimulated.  Unplugging an hour before bed allows me to have a conversation with my boyfriend without distractions. I read a few chapters in a good book or I knit a few more rows on my latest sock project.  It's been nice having this time for reflection and to quiet my mind right before bed.  Banishing the phone from the bedroom means if I roll over in the middle of the night, I simply wait for myself to fall back asleep instead of reaching for the phone and scrolling through Instagram.  I'm at the end of the third week and I have to tell you, I'm now sleeping through the night!  I feel energized and excited to start the day.  I've got energy for workouts and cooking.
I feel great. And I look forward to bedtime each night."

     Sleep is a wonderful thing. 7-9 hours of sleep will drastically improve your moods, and your overall health.

No comments:

Post a Comment